Monday, February 24, 2014

Off Grid Living: Bus Houses!

Ever since this whole economic crash and teenage peer pressure business started (which was around the same time for me) I've thought it'd be really convenient to live like a hermit in the middle of nowhere, where I wouldn't have to deal with money or humans. I don't much like humans; they creep me out.

It was a bit more recently that I found out about the trend of converting old buses into homes. What could be cooler than living in an old bus? It's cheap, cozy, green, and pretty damn unique. Also you could totally drive your house down the street, were you so inclined. Whee!

Here are a few cool pictures that I pilfered from the internet:






Not gonna fit. :(
So with that, I thought I'd try my hand at designing one of my own. Not in real life, though; it's midterm season so I wouldn't have the time. But that's what CAD modelling is for! If I do say so myself, I think I managed to make a pretty cool off-grid home. I'd seriously consider making the real thing and moving in, but then I realized that there's no way I could find room for my bass.

I built with self-sufficiency yet simplicity in mind. Note the solar panels and veggie gardens. I aimed to keep the gardens compact, to create a plot of land that could fit in an country, suburban, or even urban location. I wouldn't mind hermit-ing in a city, either; there it's acceptable to just ignore everybody else.

Overview from above.

The front yard.

A cozy little nook for reading, writing, and dining. 

The living room and kitchen, as viewed from the doorway. 

The living room, as viewed from the kitchen.
The bathroom. 
The bedroom.
The backyard: a shady orchard with a gazebo. 


The floor plan. 










No comments:

Post a Comment