Thursday, January 24, 2013

Victorian Pharmacy

With exams this week, I've done plenty of wandering about the aetherwebs looking for ways to squander my precious time--I mean, no, really, Mom, I've been studying like a boss--so, like any teenager, I've spent my spare time watching BBC history documentaries! ...Okay, maybe I'm weird and nerdy, but that's beside the point.

My latest time wasting intellectual endeavor is this little fun fest of Victorian weirdness: Victorian Pharmacy, a four-episode recreation of how a pharmacy would have functioned a century and a half ago. Historical medicines, from herbal infusions to placebo scams, are tested out on modern volunteers--within reason, of course.  While not overtly steampunk, it keeps in tune with the steamy concepts of exploring both the revolutionary and the just plain strange science and technology of the industrial revolution. You can watch it for free here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment